tomhoppe.com

Racing, Web Development, Photography, and Beer...Stuff that matters.

Monday, October 6, 2008

Quest for cheap radios has ended

In an earlier post, I talked about how I was going to get a nice cheap radio setup for the race car. Well, after turning on the Midland GPRS radios from Bass Pro shops that sat around for a while, I figured out they were busted. Crapola. So I decided to get "real" radios instead. After messing around on Ebay and finding some Chinese knockoffs, a friend suggested I call Sampson Racing and see if they had any used gear. They hooked me up with a set of Vertex radios, crew chief headset, and a PTT button, all demo gear out of the owner's race car. Sweet! Cameron at Conover Motorsports is going to build me a badass antenna, and I will still have my "cheap-er" radio system.

  • Vertex 5-watt - $160
  • Crew Chief headset - $90
  • PTT + free car harness - $25
  • Driver helmet gear - $140
  • Badass Conover antenna - $50
  • Misc adapters (headset to radio, car harness to radio) - $25

In the end, I've spend $500 and ended up with around an $800 system. My cheap ass is happy :) Looking forward to being able to hear my crew at the ARRC

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home