tomhoppe.com

Racing, Web Development, Photography, and Beer...Stuff that matters.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Uwharrie!

On the way home on Sunday, we stopped by Uwharrie National Forest with a few friends, Jeff, Mike, and Dante. Never having been "really" 4 wheeling, I had no idea what to expect. On the way in we stopped by the main outpost, got some maps, aired down the tires, disconnected the swaybars, and took off up the mountain. Dante, having been there numerous times, led the way to the hardest trail, Daniel. I was definitely skeptical of the Jeep making it over all the obstacles and rocks, but it took it like a champ! We finally found the secret of wheeling a Jeep without lockers, left foot braking. Dragging your left foot on the brake while trying to go up a slippery rock/hill slows down the tire trying to spin, and lets grab instead of it just spinning like crazy. Also, it really is about the driving and not your equipment. Dante with his mostly stock, lockerless, 4 door ran through all the obstacles like they were a cobblestone road.

We decided to keep Zoey in the back of the Jeep instead of tying her up at the campsite, and despite the constant bouncing in the back of the Jeep, I think she had fun. During one of the rock crawls at Kodak rock, she decided she wanted to sit in the front seat. Then exactly at the worst possible time, she slipped and popped the Jeep into neutral. It was a little scary at the time, as I thought I broke something :) I took plenty of pics as it was a beautiful day. Thats not a polarizer filter, the sky really was that blue. I realized afterwards I took mostly pics of our Jeep and Jeffs. Dante with his superior 4 wheeling skillz was always up over the rocks and then walking back to help the rest of us, so I only got 1 pic of his Jeep.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger adam said...

Tom! I was just thinking, man i wonder what ever happended to Tom Hoppe? And then I googled you and you happen to have a website. And then you had a picture or two posted of you, and it seemed like yes, this is the Tom I remembered. It's me, adam. From Baton Rouge. Just wondering what you are up to. send me an email if you have a chance, then i'll have your email as well. mine is acygan at gmail. And... if you're not the tom hoppe i remember, then just disregard this message...

November 4, 2008 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Used to do Uwharrie all the time in K5 blazers. That led me into Rally, then you know what happened after that. Cool pictures man!
Cameron

November 6, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home